Saturday, August 21, 2010

Saturday 21st!

Okay, where to begin, we are sitting in our hotel room trying to remember what all we did today. Thankfully we figured it out it was a harder task then you would think! (Its been a long long day!) I was awake way before the alarm (remember snoring brothers) I was dressed and ready to go by seven, we didnt leave the hotel till about nine... We went down for our complimentary full english breakfast. A full English breakfast I learned today was 1/3 of tomato, toast, sausage, ham(bacon), and baked beans! Needless to say I had fruit and some baked beans this morning :) We headed out and had some time to kill before the changing of the guards, we tried to catch the metro but they are doing LOTS of construction so many lines were closed down, we were a little annoyed so we found something close. The War Rooms: They are kind of hidden away and I had no idea it was going to be so cool. It was the underground bomb shelters during the wars. They had a free audio guide and a whole museum on Winston Churchill! I think he had some of the funniest quotes like: "If you are going through hell, keep going" "I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter" We then walked through the royal parks towards the Buckingham Palace to find a place for the changing of the guards. We eased our way into a spot on the railing where we waited, and waited and watched another million people try to squeeze in. I was pretty excited because it got canceled due to weather in 2008 when we were here. It took about 40 minutes to complete the whole thing, pretty impressive all the matching uniforms and small band and even guards on horseback. While in between advents I turn around to see a little boy pulling up his under ware and pants. His Dad the proceeded to pat him on the back and give him a kiss of accomplishment! The little boy peed on the Queens flowers! I mean I understand when you gotta go you got to go, but they could have found a more discrete place then in the middle of thousands of people during the changing of the guards lol. Next on the schedule was the tour of the Palace, it was impressively hard to walk to the entrance which happened to be around the corner. With thousands of people trying to leave the changing of the guard it was a tourist nightmare for about 15 minutes. We made it inside and toured the state rooms at the palace and even part of the royal gardens. Although I did it before, it was just as impressive or more this time. We then thought it to be a good idea to pick up our tickets for the show tonight, Cassidy and I were going to Wicked and Josh, some show I dont even know. We found a cute little reserved restaurant for lunch, I indeed had french fries :) I couldnt bring my self to by 10+ dollars for something I knew I wouldn't like or finish.... We then flagged a taxi to get up to tower of London. We had a little tour and learned all the history there. There was a group of employees acting out a little skit we watched for a second. One of those they try to get the crowd cheering and chanting. We saw the tower of London bridge and it is more impressive then London Bridge. We walked to find the bathrooms and I walked in and turns out it cost 50 pence! Are you kidding me! I surly did not have to go THAT bad to pay to use a public restroom. So I held it while we hailed our second cab to get to Trafalgar Square. This is where they have the four lion statues that are the most photographed statues in the world! We waited our turn then climbed/crawled up to get our pictures on/by the lions. It was a little harder then it looks to jump up that high on slick rock. We then walked the few minutes to Piccadilly Street that has loads of shopping, Regilys believe it or not museum, cinemas, tourist shops, lots of people and the one and only candy shop! Cassidy and I found this store a few years ago when we were here, and bought pounds and pounds of candy. So as tradition holds, we did it again…. The clerk rang me up and gave me my total of like forty dollars and she is like “um… is that okay?” I said yes its not all for me, and we are from out of town. Haha, anyways we had just enough time to catch the tube home to change our clothes and get to our shows. Cassidy and I went to Wicked, which is always amazing no matter the venue. But, (of course there is a but) they had a new Galinda and Elphaba casted. I hate to admit that they were not as good as the last, great singers just not as great. I didn’t get the goose bumps on defying gravity like I usually do but did on the song no good deed goes unpunished. We then tried to beat Josh back to the hotel (which we didn’t) then walked to the corner burger king and got food and ice cream. Josh was appalled that we ate American food, but we did walk into like two pubs that were closing, so we did try. J I couldn’t believe how fast I feel asleep and didn’t even wake up to snoring once; it was a busy, busy day that wore me out for sure!

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Yay so glad you are journaling everything!!!
And yay for the candy! haha